Thursday, July 29, 2010

Aliens, Stonehenge, and Mass Transit

Saturday, I braved the British mass transit system and traveled by myself to Stonehenge. It about 110 miles each way and takes 3 hours by train. But, you can't just take one train. I had to first walk 3 miles to the train station, then board a train to London, King's Cross station (the site of the '05 bombings vaguely on my mind) then, take the Victoria line of the underground to Oxford Circus, then take the Bakerloo line underground to London's Waterloo train station where I caught a train to Sailsbury then a bus out to Stonehenge. The National line of the underground looked on the map as though it went straight through from King's Cross to Waterloo but, of course it doesn't. Why do they make maps like that anyway?

Stonehenge rises up out of the English countryside as the bus rounds a corner from a rural two lane road. Chills flew up my spine the first time I laid eyes on the rocks. The plain outside of Sailsbury is higher elevation and a bit cooler than in the town. The views are incredible. As you stand up on the plain with the monumental rocks, wheat fields and grazing sheep surround you. It's a great place to sit on the grass and just be, for awhile.

I asked the locals where were all the crop circles, this year? Apparently the last one's were in June. It seems that the aliens are disgusted with England's performance in the World Cup and haven't been back since. If I were an alien, I would pick the Wiltshire wheat fields as a medium for my yard art. They are incredibly beautiful and serene.

No comments:

Post a Comment