Saturday, July 3, 2010

Is There honey Still For Tea?

across the pond: Loose Ends: "Forty-eight hours to go before I leave the ranch and I finally finished the last of the 'required reading.' Three quarters of the packing is..."

Today I went to the small village of Grantchester. There's a tea room there where Rupert Brooke and Virginia Woolfe used to hang out. The Orchard Tea Room is surrounded by ancient elms with acres of green lawn dotted with outdoor dining tables. Just around the corner and a mile hike into the lush Albion forest is Lord Byron's pool. The locals tell me that's where he used to woo his women.

I purchased a Dymock poets anthology today with a run down of poets (circa WWI) who lived in Gloucestershire. It includes Robert Frost, can you believe that? Are the Brits with their deep pool of poets to pull from laying claim to our Robert Frost?

I also found a book of (never before?) printed sonnets of the Bard himself from 1609. Its slated as an alternative text derived from the Notebook Sonnets. It's well documented and footnoted. S.C. Campbell who compiled the text claims the Sonnets originally had a plot and were somehow taken out of order obscuring it. Perhaps I'll get some clarity on the topic during my "Elizabethan Love Poetry" lectures. I'm not exactly a Shakespeare fan, but I thought I would make a nice gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment